AIS signals can be received on most standard marine antenna operating on VHF frequency 156 to 163 MHz.
A single VHF antenna can be used with the antenna being shared using a VHF/AIS Splitter with one tail going to the VHF radio and the other to the AIS device. An example of a VHF/AIS antenna splitter can be seen here.
The second option is to install a specially tuned AIS antenna as a standalone aerial dedicated to your AIS transponder or receiver.
- Mount as high as possible, ideally 2-3m (6-10 ft) above the water
- Don’t mount in radar beam
- Should not be collocated with any other antenna
- Ideal mounting separation between antenna is 3 m (9.85 ft)
- It should be an omni directional marine band VHF antenna
- Don’t mount in the shadow of structures, masts etc
- When using an antenna splitter ensure it is an active AIS Splitter to protect the device that is not transmitting